Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Theodore Roosevelt National Park



View Larger Map
 
Theodore Roosevelt National Park was right in my path and so I decided to make a day of hiking in the park before crossing the line into Montana to stay in Glendive.  I had my hiking pants and shoes for a reason!  The national parks book I got in Marquette said if you only have one day, to do the south loop.  I saw feral horses before even entering the park- it was truly astounding.  The landscape changed from the flat vastness over to what I suppose is the badlands- cliffs and round hills of colorful stone.
I really had wanted to see a bison driving through the Dakotas, and almost immediately I got my wish.  I told the park visitors center ranger person that I wanted to see animals.  She laughed at me but told me where all the prairie dog towns were.

Looking at my journal now, I stopped writing in full sentences, just recording the many animals I saw or heard, or smelled.

"Looking at bison grazing among cottonwoods along Little Missouri River.  Smells like bison, too.
Hearing western meadowlark (their songs are just lovely)
Meadowlarks!
Frogs
Killdeer
Prairie dogs! baby ones!!!
black and white bird (these were magpies)
bluebird (so so so blue)
More frogs
Elk poo?"

 

Prairie dog squeaky toys...  the wind was terribly loud but you get the effect of their warning barks.  There were little baby ones who peeked out and stood at the edge of their little mound, exactly the same color as the dirt.  If i moved at all they all went bink bink bink bink- down into the hole.  Then one would peer out again a moment later.


Medora, historic old west tourist town.

Bison grazing among the cottonwoods that follow the Little Missouri River.

Luckily he ignored my car.  He could make a pretty big dent.



The red earth that peeks out is blood-like.  I guess this is pipestone, which the books in the bookstore I was browsing said was what peace pipes are made out of cause apparently I'm not the only one who thinks it looks like blood.


Bison poo



 The coal seam that burned for over 20 years.





Elk poo?

These plaques are so interesting.  One history on top of another.
Feral horses

No comments:

Post a Comment